Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sunflowers

Yeah, so it's a cliche to say that sunflowers make me happy. Of course they do. They're so sunny and bright and big. Sunflowers are what you get when you plant laughter in cool black soil. Wait for a bit and a bunch of silent, fat smiles pop out of the ground.

Must be at least this tall to invade a field of sunflowers
I found this photo in one of my Kenya albums. I think we drove by a bunch of sunflower farms on our way to Mt. Elgon. The plants were so gigantic that we had to stop so we could pile out of the car and stand next to them in awe. Those guys look like they could uproot themselves, start running up to people like us and laughing in our faces as if they were Hafiz of Shiraz.

God
and I have become
like two giant fat people living
in a tiny
boat.
We
keep bumping into
each other
and 
l
a
u
g
h
i
n
g

- From "The Gift: Poems by Hafiz the Great Sufi Master"

No comments: