Sunday, April 15, 2012

Going Back To Sleep

I'm the worst at waking up in the morning. I could probably give some reasonably plausible explanation for it, maybe going back to when I was in elementary school and my Mom would roust me from sleep really early in the morning in her bossiest voice, instilling a lifetime of resentment about having to wake up on anyone's terms but my own.

Whatever the reason, it turns out that now I can't get out of bed without first going back to sleep. There's something so satisfying about crawling back under warm blankets to savor a few more minutes of sleep, burying my face into my pillow, heavy with the smell of recent dreams. There's something satisfying about knowing I snuck in a few more ZZs when I wasn't supposed to. Every morning I get out of bed with the knowledge that I defied the rules just a little bit, if only for an extra eight or 16 minutes.

No comments: